REAP: How We Read The Bible
Open your Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to teach, correct, and train you (2 Timothy 3:16). As you are reading, choose the portion of Scripture that stands out to you the most and restate the main point in your own words.
Spend some time reflecting. Ask yourself these questions and write down your thoughts:
- What is happening in this passage?
- What things are emphasized, repeated, or related?
- What is God doing in this passage?
- What do you learn about God’s character?
- What do you see about man?
- How do you think the author wants his audience to respond?
After examining the passage, apply the text to your own life. Ask yourself these questions:
- What wrong beliefs did I have about God and myself?
- How do I need to repent?
- What truths do I need to believe?
- What false beliefs must I turn from?
- What can I do today, empowered by the Holy Spirit, to apply this passage? (Try to make your application personal, specific, and attainable)
Pray through the passage and your application. Ask God to change your heart and to change your life based on the time you’ve spent in God’s Word. Write down a short prayer thanking God for this truth, and ask Him to help you apply it in your life.
Citadel Square REAP Reading Plan