Jesus As A Child
Jesus As A Child - Matthew 2, Luke 2
Jesus came to earth to do God’s plan, and even as a boy, Jesus knew that. Jesus got ready to do what God sent Him to do. God sent Jesus into the world to die on the cross and rescue people from sin.
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” - John 1:1
- In The (Put hands together by your side)
- Beginning (Separate hands to have both with palms up by your sides)
- Was the Word (Put hands together like a book)
- And the Word (Move hands forward)
- Was with God (Put hands together above head)
- And the Word was God (Separate hands toward “praise” formation)
In The Beginning
Bible Story Video
Jesus as a Child
Bible Story Summary
- Jesus traveled to Jerusalem with His parents when He was 12 years old.
- Jesus was not with Mary and Joseph when they started home.
- They went back and found Jesus in the temple with the teachers.
- Jesus came to earth to do His Father’s plan.
Family Discussion Starters
- How did Jesus surprise the people at the temple? How did Jesus understand so much?
- What did Jesus mean when He said He had to be in His Father’s house?
- What was God’s plan for Jesus?
- How is Jesus part of God’s plan for us?
Use FaceTime or Zoom to talk with some family or friends. Have the kids share what they learned this week and recite the Key Passage.
For Preschool Kids
- Coloring/Activity Pages - Download PDF
- Activity: Find Jesus
Use a plastic people figure to represent Jesus. Set out three cups. Place the figure under one of the cups. Mix up the cups. Invite your child to guess which cup Jesus is under.
- Say: Mary and Joseph did not know where Jesus was. They finally found Him in the temple. Jesus was listening to the teachers and asking them questions. Jesus told Mary and Joseph that He had to be in His Father’s house. Jesus came to earth to do His Father’s plan.
For Elementary Kids
- Personal Bible Study (3rd-5th Grade Class Handout) - Download PDF
- New City Catechism - Question 23
Why must the Redeemer be truly God?
That because of his divine nature his obedience and suffering would be perfect and effective; and also that he would be able to bear the righteous anger of God against sin and yet overcome death.
- Discussion & Bible Skills
Help your kids find Luke 2 in their Bible. Go over which division Luke is in (New Testament, Gospels). Ask which other books are in that division, and what they tell. (Matthew, Mark, John; the story of Jesus’ life and ministry on earth)
Ask the following questions:
- Why did Mary and Joseph travel to Jerusalem each year? (for the Passover, Luke 2:41)
- How long did it take Mary and Joseph to find Jesus? (three days, Luke 2:46)
- What about Jesus astounded people? (His understanding and His answers, Luke 2:46-47)
- Why do you think Jesus’ understanding and wisdom were so surprising? Help kids understand that Jesus would have seemed like an ordinary 12-year-old just by looking at Him. Remind kids that Jesus is fully God and fully human. Jesus was able to understand and explain God’s Word as One who had studied it for many years, despite His young age.
- Why do you think Jesus said it was necessary for Him to be in His Father’s house? Guide kids to understand that Jesus’ Father is God. Remind them that Jesus is God the Son, and He knew God’s plans for His life: to make the way for sinners to have eternal life. Jesus understood that He would need to rely on God’s power to obey Him, and Jesus wanted to obey God always.
- How can we live out God’s plans for us? Discuss the idea that God’s plan for all believers is for us to glorify Him by loving others, obeying Him out of love, and sharing the gospel throughout the earth. Remind kids that we can live on mission no matter where we are.
- Even as a child, Jesus wanted to do His Father’s plan. He perfectly obeyed His earthly parents and all of God’s commands, eventually dying for our sin.
More in Resource Center
June 4, 2020Jesus Healed Ten Men
June 1, 2020A Statement from Pastor Steve Heron on Social Injustice
June 1, 2020Jesus and the Samaritan Woman