Jesus Calmed A Storm
Jesus Calmed A Storm -Matthew 8; Mark 4; Luke 8
Jesus’ disciples knew Jesus was a good man and a good teacher. But when Jesus calmed the wind and the waves, He showed His disciples that He is also God. God rules the sea and stills its waves. (Psalm 89:9)
“The Holy Spirit will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have told you”- John 14:26
- The Holy Spirit (put arms up with palms in)
- Will teach you all things (bring arms down with palms up at waist)
- And remind you (point to temples)
- Of everything (shake head)
- I have told you (bring fingers down in front of your waist)
The Holy Spirit
Choose one or more of the songs below:
- For God Loved The World - Video
- He is Faithful - Video
- The Lord Will Be With You - Video
- You Are Great - Video
- Everlasting Kingdom - Video
- Ask God - Video
- The Lord is Patient With You - Video
- If My People - Video
- God Will! - Video
- Kingdom Kid - Video
Bible Story Video
Jesus Calmed A Storm
Bible Story Summary
- Jesus fell asleep as He and His disciples were in a boat on the sea.
- All of a sudden, a storm came.
- The disciples were scared and woke up Jesus, asking Him to save them.
- Jesus spoke and calmed the storm.
- Family Discussion Starters
- What did Jesus say to His friends after He calmed the storm?
- What are some things that make you afraid?
- How did Jesus show His disciples that He is the Lord?
- Set up a sprinkler and a small wading pool and play out the Bible story.
For Preschool Kids
- Coloring/Activity Pages - Download PDF (Lessons for August 7 - 30)
- Activity: Play with water
- Lay out a large towel. Fill a small shallow bin with a couple of inches of water and place it on the towel. Invite children to play in the water using the boats, cups, and plastic people figures.
- Say: Playing with toy boats in the water is fun! In today’s Bible story, Jesus and His disciples were in a boat on the sea. Jesus was very tired, and He fell asleep. Something incredible happened after Jesus’ frightened disciples woke Him. Listen to the story to find out what that was.
For Elementary Kids
- Personal Bible Study - Download PDF (Lessons for June 7 - Sept. 20)
- New City Catechism - Question 42
How is the Word of God to be read and heard?
With diligence, preparation, and prayer; so that we may accept it with faith and practice it in our lives.
- Discussion Questions
Help kids find Mark 4. Ask the following questions:
What was Jesus doing when the storm hit the boat? (sleeping, Mark 4:38)
How did Jesus calm the storm? (by speaking, Mark 4:39)
How did the disciples react to Jesus’ miracle? (They were terrified and asked who Jesus was, Mark 4:41)
Why do you think the disciples were afraid? Direct kids to think more deeply than the simple answer of the storm they faced. Help them see that their fear came from a lack of understanding of and trust in who Jesus is. If they had known who Jesus is and trusted Him completely even in the storm, they would not have been afraid.
How do you react to scary or hard situations? Guide kids to answer honestly. Discuss when it is hard or easy to trust God. Be sensitive if any kids share about abuse or neglect, and ensure you follow all proper reporting procedures according to the laws where you live and your church’s policies.
How can we know that Jesus is trustworthy no matter what? Prompt kids to provide ways we can know Jesus is trustworthy. Remind them that God’s Word is true, and it teaches us to trust Jesus. Jesus is God the Son, and the Bible teaches us that He has control over all of creation. We also know that God only does what is good and right. Everything He does is for His glory and our good.
Jesus calmed a storm to show the disciples He is God. When we understand who Jesus is and put our faith in His work on the cross, God forgives our sins and gives us eternal life with Him.
More in News & Resources
May 4, 2021Kids Lesson: The Jerusalem Council (Acts 15)
May 1, 2021Kids Lesson: Letters to Church Leaders (1-2 Timothy, Titus)
April 26, 2021Study Guide: Revelation 9:1-12 - Opening the Abyss