Jesus Was Dedicated
Jesus Was Dedicated - Luke 2
God had promised His people that a Savior was coming. When Simeon and Anna saw Jesus, they knew He was the Savior. Jesus came to save people from sin. We can trust Jesus to save us from our sins; and like Simeon and Anna, we get to tell others the good news.
Bible Story Video
Jesus Was Dedicated (Luke 2)
Bible Story Summary
- Mary and Joseph took Baby Jesus to the temple.
- Simeon thanked God for keeping His promise to Simeon to let him see the Messiah.
- Anna the prophetess told other people that the Savior had come.
- Simeon and Anna worshiped Jesus.
Family Discussion Starters
- How did God keep the promise He made to Simeon?
- Why do you think Simeon said being Jesus’ mother would be good but hard for Mary?
- What did Simeon and Anna do that we get to do now?
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” - John 1:1
In The (Put hands together by your side)
Beginning (Separate hands to have both with palms up by your sides)
Was the Word (Put hands together like a book)
And the Word (Move hands forward)
Was with God (Put hands together above head)
And the Word was God (Separate hands toward “praise” formation)
If any of your children were dedicated before your congregation, tell them about the experience. Show pictures and explain the purpose of the dedication. Talk about how Jesus’ dedication was different because He is God’s Son.
For Preschool Kids
- Craft: Make a sticky mural - Remove the backing from a large sheet of clear contact plastic. Attach the plastic, sticky side out, to a wall at children’s height by taping the corners to the wall. Set out magazines and catalogs. Encourage preschoolers to cut out pictures of people, both young and old. Guide children to attach people to the sticky paper.
Sometimes when people get old, their hair turns gray or it might begin to fall out. In today’s Bible story, a man named Simeon was old. God promised Simeon that he would not die until he saw the Messiah, the One who would rescue people from their sins. A woman named Anna had also been waiting a long time to see the Messiah.
For Elementary Kids
- New City Catechism - Question 22
- Why must the Redeemer be truly human?
- That in human nature he might on our behalf perfectly obey the whole law and suffer the punishment for human sin; and also that he might sympathize with our weaknesses.
- Discussion & Bible Skills
- Help kids find Luke 2. Consider using the New Testament Israel Map to show the location of Jerusalem. Explain that the temple, where today’s Bible story was set, would have been in Jerusalem. Remind the kids that the Gospels division contains four accounts of Jesus’ life, ministry, death, and resurrection.
- Ask the following questions.
- Why did Mary and Joseph bring Jesus to the temple as a baby? (to dedicate Him according to God’s law, Luke 2:22-23)
- Why did Simeon say “You can let me die now”? (Simeon had seen God fulfill His promise to send the Messiah, Luke 2:29-32)
- Whom did Anna tell about Jesus? (those who had been waiting on the Lord’s salvation, Luke 2:38)
- How would Jesus provide salvation? Guide kids to think about Jesus’ death on the cross. Remind the kids that the fair payment of sin is death and that Jesus died in our place. He took on the punishment of God’s anger toward sin and died. Then He rose again to prove His sacrifice was enough.
- What are ways people might respond to Jesus? Discuss the reactions of Simeon and Anna, who were excited and happy and told others about Jesus. Then discuss why some people might not believe the good news, or might feel it is too good (or they are too bad) to accept the gospel as true. Point out that some people might think they know Jesus but never have a real relationship with Him.
- What other promises has God given us? Remind kids that God has promised salvation to everyone who trusts in Jesus. He has promised to send Jesus back to fix everything sin has broken. He has promised to give us new life, joy, and peace through Jesus. Help kids understand that He has not promised an easy life.
- Simeon and Anna worshiped Jesus as the Messiah. Jesus is the Messiah, and we can worship Him too.
More in Resource Center
June 4, 2020Jesus Healed Ten Men
June 1, 2020A Statement from Pastor Steve Heron on Social Injustice
June 1, 2020Jesus and the Samaritan Woman