Study Guide: The Dragon and the Beast - Revelation 13:1-10
by Addison Hamrick
And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?”
And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. It opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming his name and his dwelling, that is, those who dwell in heaven. Also it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. And authority was given it over every tribe and people and language and nation, and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain. If anyone has an ear, let him hear:
If anyone is to be taken captive,
to captivity he goes;
if anyone is to be slain with the sword,
with the sword must he be slain.
Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.
God’s people are called to endure and keep the faith in the midst of great persecution.
In this passage we see Satan (the dragon) work through a beast in order to deceive earth dwellers and wage war on God’s people. In the midst of such great persecution, believers are reminded that God chose them and secured them before the foundation of the world. Because of this, they can endure and persevere until the end.
- What three things does the dragon give to the beast?
- How do the people on earth respond to the beast?
- To whom does the beast speak words of blaspheme?
- There are multiple ways in which the beast imitates Christ, what are they?
- How will God’s people be treated during this time?
- This passage shows us that Satan (the dragon) can work through both individuals and governments or institutions. How have you seen this to be the case in your life and in the world today?
- How can believers have confidence in the midst of great persecution like that which comes from the beast and his followers? How does this passage help you persevere in the faith and run the race with endurance?
- It is costly to follow Christ in this world. What are some things that following Christ might cost you? What are some things that you might be tempted to compromise on in order to avoid the cost?
Give God thanks for securing your salvation and ask him for the strength and wisdom needed in order to persevere during moments of persecution.
More in News & Resources
July 22, 2021Kids Lesson: Children of God (1 John 2-3)
July 19, 2021Study Guide: Revelation 14:6-20 - Proclamation and Perseverance
July 15, 2021Kids Lesson: Brothers in Christ (Philemon)